In the midst of new worries and the ultimate question of what I’m suppose to do with my life, I decided to take a step back and examine who God is as revealed in the book of James.
- Wise – If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach and it will be given him. James 1:5
- Promise Keeper – Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
- Giver – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17
- Good, wholly and completely
- Unchanging, unbiased
- Truth – Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of his creatures. James 1:18
- Righteous Standard – Know this, my beloved brothers, let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20
- Love to the least – Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. James 1:27
- Impartial – If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love you neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. James 2:8-9
- Judge – For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13
- Believable – You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe– and shudder! James 2:19
- Creator of all men – With it [the tongue] we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not be so. James 3:9-10
- Enemy of worldliness – You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4
- Jealous for me – Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously ver the spirit that he has made to dwell in us?” James 4:5
- Grace Giver – But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives graces to the humble.” James 4: 6
- Helper in the face of temptation – Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
- Just – Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. James 5:4
- Patient – Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient until it receives the early and the late rains. James 5:7
- Coming – You also, be patient. Establish your hearts for the coming of the Lord is at hand. James 5:8
- Compassionate, merciful – Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
- Faithful – And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. James 5:15
Lately, I keep feeling like I need to do something in order to be noticed by God. That couldn’t be further from the truth. What I’ve actually been needing is me to stop doing, and let Him do whatever needs to be done in my life.
Instead of checking the boxes of what I should do for my quiet times alone with Him, I’ve been reading Scripture, letting words of truth saturate my soul. It’s still amazing to me how many times a familiar book can speak new life into me.
Thank you, Lord for reminding us who you are today. So many times I think of you in singular terms, but you are do much more than just Savior. You are everything I need. In you I have peace, and wisdom, and mercy when I let Satan take hold of my thoughts. Even after we ask for you to be our Lord, you still seek us continually. Open our ears to hear from you today, right where we are both physically and spiritually. Help me to be sensitive enough to feel your jealous tug and respond with being in your presence. Thank you for who you are and seeing us with eyes of grace.